For the organic livestock farmer who wants to raise healthy animals on natural, cost effective supplements, DIY Seaweed Bio-Minerals are at the top of the list, hands down.
We at SONIC Natural Farming supply Starter Kits and Training for making the 100% natural age old recipe. We suggested it to our local sheep farmer a few years ago who went on to make it for their farm and over a short period of time noticed some positive results.
Warren from Local Dorper Lamb near Byron Bay NSW watched the change after drenching the sheep routinely, saying “the sheep are happier and the worms are cut down by a third”.
The other benefit of feeding it to livestock is that because of the increased beneficial microbes in the droppings, spread all over the ground, soil biology improves and the grass gets stronger and healthier.
Why use Seaweed As A Mineral Supplement?
Seaweed is recommended by farmers, stock breeders and equestrians for one simple reason. Seaweed has the highest diversity of naturally balanced minerals out of any organic plant. For example, there are 7 trace minerals cows need, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, selenium and zinc, and all of them are found in seaweed.
Studies carried out on the use of seaweed, as part of the food ration for livestock, have established that it provides significant benefit to animal health by the provision of minerals, vitamins, alginate and osmoregulatory compounds called betaines. These compounds enhance beneficial gut bacteria so that food nutrients are readily absorbed and better utilized.
4 Reasons why DIY Liquid Mineral Supplements are so GOOD
1. Most livestock mineral supplements are expensive. SONIC DIY Bio-Minerals are easy to make, affordable and cost effective.
2. Store bought Mineral Supplements are produced for shelf life, which means they generally do not contain living probiotic bacteria. DIY Mineral Supplements allows you to utilise the Probiotics when they are alive and fresh.
3. When purchasing Supplements it’s often hard to know if they contain synthetic minerals which the gut eventually recognises as unusable and discards. Nature has already done the work of perfectly balancing the minerals in Seaweed.
4. SONIC Seaweed Bio-Minerals covers livestock mineral requirements but the beneficial bacteria are what makes the Seaweed in this method nutritionally optimised.
How does it work? A Beneficial Microbes Starter Culture is added to activate and balance the brewing process. By doing so, the microbes unlock the minerals or biologically activate the Seaweed, and the nutrients and minerals in the Seaweed become easy to absorb by the animals gut.
Other great benefits of DIY Bio-Minerals are..
- easy to make
- affordable and cost effective
- work with harmless products
- increase livestock mineral intake
- support animal gut health
- uses self-sufficient farming practices
- lower the carbon footprint
- lessen plastic packaging waste
- have a great skill to hand down
How are Liquid Bio-Minerals used?
The end product is a concentrate, so it is diluted and added to animal feed or water. See Application Rates and Methods. It can also be used as an inoculant on hay, as a grain soak (activator) or sprayed on the grazing land.
The short video below shows cattle being introduced to some leftover Seaweed after it was brewed using SONIC methods.